About Paula Maccabee
Clients of Just Change benefit from Paula Maccabee’s 30 years experience as a public interest lawyer:
- Lawyer/Advocate for Just Change Law for over 16 years, representing individuals, non-profit organizations, businesses and local governments to protect private rights and public interests with a practice focused on environmental, energy and agricultural law, protecting citizens, communities and the environment.
- HONORED with the Minnesota Public Health Association 2015 Harvey G. Rogers Environmental Health Leadership Award for “longstanding and significant” contributions to the health of Minnesotans.
- CHOSEN as one of Minnesota Lawyer’s “Attorneys of the Year for 2010” based on nomination for public interest work specializing in environmental protection.
- PUBLICATIONS: Recent articles in legal publications reflect Paula’s work on behalf of environmental and public interest clients.
- Drake J. Agricultural Law – Pipelines, Power Lines & Organic Farms Maccabee 2009 – Drake J. Agricultural Law
- William Mitchell Law Review – Mercury, Mining and the Clean Water Act. Maccabee 2010 – William Mitchell Law Review
- William Mitchell Law Review -Tribal Authority to Protect Water Resources and Reserved Rights under Clean Water Act Section 401.Maccabee 2015 -William Mitchell Law Review
- Advocate for Environmental Protection – building non-profit and citizen capacity to protect clean water resources from mining pollution. WaterLegacy, for which Paula serves as Advocacy Director and Counsel, has been recognized by the national Philanthropedia group, as the #1 start-up Minnesota environmental non-profit, by Lake Superior Binational Forum through its Environmental Stewardship Awards and by Headwaters Foundation for Justice selected through its Allies for Justice award.
- Saint Paul City Council Member – developed citywide policy on housing, business development and regulation, crime prevention, health and human services, human rights, and environmental protection
- Special Assistant Attorney General – coordinating Attorney General Hubert “Skip” Humphrey’s task force on prevention of sexual violence, including leading statewide hearings and mobilizing advocacy resulting in the passage of sentencing reform
- Trial Attorney with Robins Zelle Larson & Kaplan, St. Paul – litigation on behalf of women harmed by defective product; helped build the foundation for trial and settlement of $37 million Dalkon Shield cases
- Project Coordinator, Minnesota Air Toxics Campaign for Sierra Club, Minnesota Chapter – developing and implementing a multi-year campaign to reduce toxic air pollution
- Adjunct Professor at University of St. Thomas – teaching Change Agent Skills and Business Law
- Guardian ad Litem for Ramsey County/ Children’s Law Center volunteer attorney – working to protect children from abuse and neglect
- Board member – Harriet Tubman Women’s Shelter, City Songs and Environmental Justice Advocates of Minnesota
A graduate of Yale Law School and Amherst College, Maccabee’s advocacy has earned additional awards including:
- National Recognition – 15 Jewish Women in Environmental Activism: Named to the Jewish Women’s Archive’s list of ”15 Jewish Women in Environmental Activism” for strong environmental stance on the St. Paul City Council and legal representation of environmental groups, including the Sierra Club. StarTribune “EcoHeroes”
- “Marvelous Minnesota Woman Award” for coordinating Attorney General’s Task Force on the Prevention of Sexual Violence
- Sierra Club North Star Chapter “Achievement” Award for legal representation before the Public Utilities Commission
- “Distinguished Community Builder” Award from the Selby Area Community Development Corporation
Maccabee, who is married with three children and three grandchildren, has a 4th Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo and a brown belt in Aikido.